Monday, December 15, 2014

Coffee Painting!



It was the common everday event.

I made some coffee, I slumped into my office chair, and stared at my Logic workbook until the words blended together. I read a few pages in the book I'm reading, answered a few questions, and added a few songs to my spotify playlist. i chatted with my mom, heated up some leftovers, and continued to stare at my workbook.

And by that point, my coffee had gone cold. Of course I could do the natural thing and heat it up. But I've been in an artsy mood and I'd just seen a tutorial on coffee painting on pinterest.

And so now, a hour later, I am pleased with the results of cold coffee.

Here's the proceess.





Supplies: Gather some paintburshes (whatever size you like working with. I usually go with a 8 round brush then grab a tiny detail brush)


And your coffee! Instead of using our coffee k-cups to brew cups of coffee I then would not drink, I got a few dishes, poured some of the mornings coffee into each one, then using little packets of extra bold roast coffee powder, I poured a differnt amount into each one, making one thick and dark, and others lighter. I tested the effects on a piece of paper to see how dark they were. I also kept some of the coffee I had with cream in it for a light wash.

First step! Choice of subject! Seeing as I am a big How To Train your Dragon fan, I chose a picture of Astrid. This is the original inspiration: 


Next step: The sketch, I didn't photograph this part, but it's pretty simple. I'm not the greatest at sketching, so seeing as this was a practice for this art style, I outlined Astrid's basic face shape and hair onto my paper so I'd have something to go off of. After sketching, I erased it all with an eraser, but I could still make out the lines.

After that it's simple. Start laying on the light colors first. I love drawing hair so that's what i started with. After laying down really light creamer coffee on the hair. With a normal round brush I applied lines of hair using a lightish coffee.




The next step is pretty ugly. Apply different darkness of coffee where its needed. It's going to look really washed out and un-interesting at this shape. I'm not the greatest at it, but the idea is to lay out the basic values before detail. Of course I never do that and end up adding a few details firstly.


Again. I never listen to the whole details last rule. So first thing I did after applying values was darken the shirt and hair, the jumping right in the making her shoulder pads look furry and making her eyes pop out. 


After that I extended the picture slightly, making her arms longer and adding a cool splotchy background. Coffee dries hard, so be careful when you add things on. Her arms looked really weird here.


Here is where I made her shoulder pads larger since her arms came out all wacky and fat. I did some more details on her face, and darkened some shadowy areas, to make the highlights stand out. I also fixed her headband so you can see it through her hair, making it look more realistic. 



Her arms were darker than her face, so I tanned her face a bit more. While I did like it paler, I still and pleased with the outcome, and again...this is all me learning how coffee works. It is a bit like watercolor. I can add some of the creamer coffee on a too dark area and lift it off with a napkin reasonbly well..


After that it was all more detail work. Making a few strands sticking out of her hair, adding more fur onto her shoulders, and the like.


The process kept continuing, as I added tiny bit after tiny bit, adding darker and darker layers to make it all stand out.







And voila! The paper is wrinkled, some edges hard and splotchy. But overall I learned a lot on how to do this and had an immense amount of fun. I will definitely be experimenting more with this paint style. Let me know if you try it out

Edit: I did more.





Huzzah!

(To see my latest coffee painting adventures, click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment